Greed enters when selfishness and a desire for the things of this world meet. Everything in the life of a host begins to revolve around this greed and eventually an insatiable. unhealthy desire to gain makes a nest for the stronghold of avarice. The stronghold of avarice digs deep into our hearts without abandon. Nothing can convince us that what we want, what we desire, what we assume we need, what we crave and what drives us to gain it, may be wrong or futile once this stronghold takes over.
Everything that stands in its way, including a loved one, Biblical advice, an unplanned pregnancy, physical or spiritual laws, or even human rights becomes a target or wall that is meant to scale, overcome, surpass, or destroy in order to grow and spread. Avarice plays a game with life in the flesh, as it avoids the minefields of social justice, and righteousness in order to attain its goal.
Many strongholds are attached to this one, including sickness, both emotional and physical. Avarice does not trust and will not compromise unless there is gain involved–even then it deceives. It will not listen to reason or righteousness.
Avarice kills. It hates God and Biblical teaching and will manipulate, distort, and deny the truth in order to blind the host to whatever will invite an atmosphere for it to thrive. It wants company and uses social media, public relations, lies, and false advertising in order to convince an already blinded public of its need to survive and grow.
What can be done to rid our lives of avarice before it takes over?
1. Never abandon God and the truth of the word of God. If something or someone is teaching you that Biblical teaching is wrong and contradicts itself, distorted and needs to be revised, removed or destroyed in order to adjust to a human (sinful) way of thinking, then you know the spirit of avarice is lurking behind the scenes and is trying to take root in our flesh.
Colossians 3:5 So kill (deaden, deprive of power) the evil desire lurking in your members [those animal impulses and all that is earthly in you that is employed in sin]: sexual vice, impurity, sensual appetites, unholy desires, and all greed and covetousness, for that is idolatry (the deifying of self and other created things instead of God).
2. Test your own thinking and motives. If you are obsessed with something that is drawing you away from God, repent and return to truth.
Hebrews 13:5 Let your character or moral disposition be free from love of money [including greed, avarice, lust, and craving for earthly possessions] and be satisfied with your present [circumstances and with what you have]; for He [God] Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. [I will] not, [I will] not, [I will] not in any degree leave you helpless nor forsake nor let [you] down ( relax My hold on you)! [ Assuredly not!]
3. Check your faith. If you know you have been drawn and are truly Christ’s, greed and avarice does not have a place in your life. Separate yourself from this sin.
1 John 2:19 They went out from our number, but they did not [really] belong to us; for if they had been of us, they would have remained with us. But [they withdrew] that it might be plain that they all are not of us.
John 6:65 And He said, This is why I told you that no one can come to Me unless it is granted him [unless he is enabled to do so] by the Father.
John 6:44 No one is able to come to Me unless the Father Who sent Me attracts and draws him and gives him the desire to come to Me, and [then] I will raise him up [from the dead] at the last day.
John 6:37 All whom My Father gives (entrusts) to Me will come to Me; and the one who comes to Me I will most certainly not cast out [I will never, no never, reject one of them who comes to Me].
4. Turn to Christ Jesus and be saved. Nothing can blind you or completely take over once you realize the truth. Those who may have left the faith never had it to begin with. If you feel you have been deceived by a spirit of avarice, repent and return.
Romans 8:38-39 I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love which Christ Jesus our Lord shows us. We can’t be separated by death or life, by angels or rulers, by anything in the present or anything in the future, by forces 39 or powers in the world above or in the world below, or by anything else in creation.
5. Follow scripture that has not been distorted. In the latter days people will attempt to rewrite the scriptures . Find yourself an accurate, precise copy of an older translation or one that has been verified to be accurate and follow it. Don’t allow sinful, selfish agendas to dictate your walk with God.
Matthew 7:12 So then, whatever you desire that others would do to and for you, even so do also to and for them, for this is (sums up) the Law and the Prophets.
2 Timothy 3:16 Every Scripture is God-breathed (given by His inspiration) and profitable for instruction, for reproof and conviction of sin, for correction of error and discipline in obedience, [and] for training in righteousness (in holy living, in conformity to God’s will in thought, purpose, and action),
Written by Christian author, Pola Muzyka.